Cowboy Quotes, Sayings, and Wisdom
Below are cowboy quotes, or cowboy sayings and wisdom.
Below: A famous 1887 photo by John C. H. Grabill titled "The Cow Boy."
A "quote" can be defined as the repetition of certain words. For example, quotes can be taken from written text, movies or television, or a passage of a speech.
Cowboy quotes are famous for the brevity, earthy wisdom, and often, a dry sense of humor.
The Quotes / Sayings / Wisdom
- Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.
- Don't squat with your spurs on.
- Don't judge people by their relatives.
- Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town.
- When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
- Talk slowly, think quickly.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
- Don't interfere with something that ain't botherin' you none.
- Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
- It's better to be a has-been that a never-was.
- The easiest way to eat crow is while it's still warm.
The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller.
- If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
- If it don't seem like it's worth the effort, it probably ain't.
- It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep.
- Sometimes you get and sometimes you get got.
- The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning.
- Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.
- If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
- Don't worry about bitin' off more'n you can chew; your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger'n you think.
- Always drink upstream from the herd.
- Generally, you ain't learnin' nothing when your mouth's a-jawin'.
- Tellin' a man to git lost and makin' him do it are two entirely different propositions.
- If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there with ya.
- Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
- When you give a personal lesson in meanness to a critter or to a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.
- When you're throwin' your weight around, be ready to have it thrown around by somebody else.
- Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back.
- Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's sure crucial to know what it was.
- The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back into your pocket.
- You can't tell how good a man or a watermelon is 'til they get thumped.(Character shows up best when tested.)
- Never miss a good chance to shut up.
- If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?
- There never was a horse that couldn't be rode;
Never was a cowboy who couldn't be throwed.
John Wayne Quotes
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much."
Reportedly, this quote was an acting tip from John Wayne to fellow actor Michael Caine.
"Any man who'd make an X-rated movie ought to have to take his daughter to see it."
"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway."
Inscription on Mr. Wayne's headstone:
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
Roy Rogers Quote
"When my time comes, just skin me and put me up there on Trigger, just as though nothing had ever changed."
Jack Sorenson Quote
Jack Sorenson is a renowned Western artist, and a best-selling artist for Leanin' Tree, America's largest Western-themed greeting card company. He grew up on his father's dude ranch and movie set in Texas.
"I didn't have the guts to become an artist, I had the ignorance."
"...God gave me my talent and I was afraid of facing him one day if I didn't use it."
See some of Jack Sorenson's breathtaking Western artistry.
To see more cowboy quote decals,
please see this page:
Cowboy Quote Decals.