Bull Riding Vests For Sale
Below are bull riding vests for sale on eBay, new and used. You can buy just the vest, or buy a vest with accessories like bull riding chaps. For a brief article about the construction and materials used in bull riding vests please scroll down. You might also like bull riding helmets.
Below: A bull rider wears a bull riding vest while competing in the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo, Cheyenne, WY.
Inside A Bull Riding Vest
First worn by bull riding and bronc riding superstar Cody Lambert in the early 1990’s, the protective vest now worn by many bull riders, bronc riders, clowns, and bull fighters is credited with saving countless men and women from serious injury in the rodeo arena. The protective vest offers protection from direct trauma (such as when a contestant is stomped on by a bull or bronc or hit with a horn) by absorbing shock and dissipating an otherwise crushing blow over a larger area.
Bull riding vests come in a wide variety of styles, but some things they have in common are an attractive outer covering like leather or Cordura (an extremely durable fabric that is resistant to abrasions, tears and scuffs), and a shock absorbing inner material. They are usually closed by a combination of zippers and Velcro, or just Velcro alone, and are designed to tear free if a bronc or bull should stick a hoof or horn inside of it. They are adjustable at the shoulders and often at the sides for a comfortable fit that won't restrict a competitor's movements. Many bull riding vests also include handy features such as pockets to hold a bull rider's mouth piece, tabs on the back for contestant numbers, and a modular construction to allow for fast, easy, and less expensive repair.
Below: A bull turns on a fallen bull rider.
At the heart of the protective vest is its ability to absorb and dissipate the incredible direct trauma that can be inflicted by a bull or bronc. Once famous for containing Kevlar (a synthetic material developed by the DuPont Company in the 1960s), modern bull riding vests contain a new age of materials. Below is a brief description of common materials currently being used inside bull riding and other protective vests.
Note: The list below is merely for reference. At Cowboyway.com we have no idea what materials will actually be in a vest that you may purchase.
- High density foam
- One type of high density foam used in some bull riding vests is Confor foam. Originally developed for the United States Space program as a material to be used in seats, Confor foam is superb at absorbing shock and dissipating impact without bottoming out or collapsing. It is an open cell foam that is breathable, with a soft feel that conforms to the rider. Upon extreme impact the Confor foam recovers slowly but completely.
Spectra Shield ballistic material.
- Spectra Shield is not a woven material like many ballistic materials (including Kevlar) but is instead made from layers of unidirectional fibers held in place by resins. It is 10 times stronger than steel, extremely light weight, and is used in everything from soft, concealable body armor to hard limousine doors and panels. Spectra Shield protective vests for bull riders offer excellent comfort and flexibility while still providing high-impact protection.
- PVC/Nitrile foam inner padding
- PVC/Nitrile foam is another type of foam recognized for its shock absorbing abilities while still being light weight and flexible. It is found in bull riding vests, equestrienne vests, football and riding helmets, and in other sports gear.
New To eBay?
- If you have never bought anything on eBay before, you will need to register with them. Registering is FREE. eBay requires registration in order to attempt to verify your identity to keep eBay a safe place to buy and sell, and to make sure you are over 18 years of age.
- You may like our one-page cowboy, eBay, crash course (<<< this link will open in a new window.