What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
Many people have ridden on or used Hermann Oak Leather for years.
Yet, in spite of being very familiar with Hermann Oak Leather, a lot of people are unclear as to what it actually is.
First Of All, What Is Leather?
Leather is the hide of an animal that has been chemically altered by a process known as tanning. By tanning animal hide, the hide becomes far more durable, long lasting, resistant to wear and rot, softer, and more pliable.
So, Hermann Oak Leather Is...
Hermann Oak Leather is leather tanned by the Hermann Oak Leather company in St. Louis, Missouri. The Hermann Oak Leather company has been making leather since 1881 when Louis Charles Hermann started the business to accommodate the local harness trade and to supply wagon loads of settlers on their way West.
Since 1881 the Hermann Oak Leather company has earned the reputation of being the premier leather manufacturer in the United States. Their specialty is vegetable tanning, a type of tanning used to make leather for many uses, including saddle making. Hermann Oak Leather can be found in certain saddles made by such prestigious saddle makers as Circle Y, Billy Cook, and more.
From Etsy. Article continues below.
Fun Things To Know
There are a wide variety of tanning methods to convert animal hide into leather. Two commonly used methods of tanning, vegetable tanning and chrome tanning, are compared below.
Vegetable tanning is a process that uses "tannin" to change hide into leather. Tannin is derived from natural products found in plants. Vegetable tanning produces a leather that is:
- Strong when thick
- Well suited to carving or molding
- Non-irritating to skin
- Non-corrosive to metal
Vegetable tanned leather is one of the more expensive leathers and is frequently found in products such as saddles, shoe soles, and gun leather.
Chrome tanning is a method of tanning that uses chromium sulfate and other compounds to tan the leather. Chrome tanning produces a leather that is:
- Soft and pliable
- Strong when thin
Chrome tanned leather is often less expensive than vegetable tanned leather because the tanning process is considerably shorter. Chrome tanned leather is frequently used in items such as clothes, upholstery, gloves, and chaps.
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Of The Biggest Wild West Robberies?
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are 8 Dumb Things To Say To A Horse Lover?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Ermine Spots?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Horse Whiskers?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are The Parts Of A Western Saddle?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Fencing Options?
- What Are Some Horse Fencing Basics?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Are The Rodeo Catch Pens?
- What Are The X's In A Cowboy Hat?
- What Are The Three Legal Head Catches?
- What Are Wolf Teeth?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is Deworming Your Horse?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is The History Of The Modern Rodeo Bucking Chute?
- What Is The History Of The One-Hand Bareback Rigging?
- What Is The Nasolacrimal Duct In Horses?
- What Is A Pony Express Mochila?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Flying Gallop?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
- What Is A Slick Fork Saddle?
- What Is A Spur Ledge?
- What Is A Swell Fork Saddle?
You Might Also Like