What Are Synthetic Saddles?
A synthetic saddle is a saddle made of materials (all or in part) other than leather.
The reasons synthetic saddles are so popular include:
- Light weight - Synthetic saddles usually weigh significantly less than their leather counterparts.
- Ease of care - The materials synthetic saddles are made of are easier to clean and care for than leather. Most can be wiped off with a damp cloth and never need oiled.
- Price - You can usually buy a synthetic saddle for less money than a saddle made of leather, and still have a quality, long lasting saddle.
- Styles - Synthetic saddles can come in virtually any style of English or Western saddle. They can come in bright colors, on in a more traditional, leather-like look.
What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
Synthetic saddles are made of a wide variety of materials including, but not limited to:
Cordura is an extremely durable fabric that is resistant to abrasions, tears and scuffs.
Cordura is ten times more durable than cotton duck, three times more durable than standard polyester, and twice as durable as standard nylon.
To clean dirt, mud, sweat, etc., off of a saddle made of Cordura all that is usually required is to wipe it off with a damp cloth. If necessary, mild detergent can be used followed by a thorough rinsing (do NOT use bleach). Note: Always read and follow any care and cleaning instructions that come with a Cordura saddle over information you may find here.
A synthetic saddle made of Cordura can come in dark, natural color tones or in a wide selection of bright colors.
You can shop for Cordura saddles here.
From Etsy. Article continues below.
Equileather is another material frequently used in synthetic saddles. It has a traditional, realistic, leather-like appearance.
Equileather is low maintenance (simply wipe it off with a damp cloth to remove horse hair, dirt, etc.), durable (it is abrasion resistant and can often withstand conditions that would damage a leather saddle), repels water and sweat, and remains flexible in cold temperatures.
In addition to synthetic saddles, you can often find Equileather in other products such as half chaps and boots.
Equisuede is a synthetic foam or suede commonly used on saddle seats or other areas.
It is comfortable, does not get slippery when wet, is quick to dry, and provides a good grip for a secure ride.
BioThane and Beta BioThane
BioThane is nylon webbing covered with thermoplastic polyurethane.
Beta BioThane (sometimes just called "Beta") is a newer version of BioThane that uses a vinyl coating.
Both BioThanes offer durability, abrasion resistance, and flexibility even in cold temperatures. They can come in a wide variety of colors, or in realistic looking natural tones.
In addition to abrasion resistance and cold weather flexibility, synthetic saddles made of Beta BioThane are lightweight, easy to clean simply by wiping off with a damp cloth, durable, don't absorb water, and resist chafing.
BioThane is also frequently used to make bridles, reins, dog collars, and other products.
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Of The Biggest Wild West Robberies?
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are 8 Dumb Things To Say To A Horse Lover?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Ermine Spots?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Horse Whiskers?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are The Parts Of A Western Saddle?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Fencing Options?
- What Are Some Horse Fencing Basics?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Are The Rodeo Catch Pens?
- What Are The X's In A Cowboy Hat?
- What Are The Three Legal Head Catches?
- What Are Wolf Teeth?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is Deworming Your Horse?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is The History Of The Modern Rodeo Bucking Chute?
- What Is The History Of The One-Hand Bareback Rigging?
- What Is The Nasolacrimal Duct In Horses?
- What Is A Pony Express Mochila?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Flying Gallop?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
- What Is A Slick Fork Saddle?
- What Is A Spur Ledge?
- What Is A Swell Fork Saddle?
You Might Also Like