How To... Close A Gate With A Chain Latch
The way a gate with a chain latch is closed is important. If closed the wrong way, a gate with a chain latch can easily can come open under stress, such as when cattle or horses bump into it or crowd against it.
Fortunately, closing a gate with a chain latch is easy. We show one correct way of doing it in the simple steps below.
Below: A gate with a chain latch closed securely.
First, A Poor Way To Close A Gate With A Chain Latch
Below is an example of a poor way to close a gate with a chain latch. Notice that the chain goes around the fence post, then is placed into the notch on the gate.
Closing a gate like this is not very secure. If the gate should come under stress (be bumped into, pushed on, etc.) the chain is liable to bounce upward out of the notch, allowing the gate to come open.
Below: A poor way of closing a gate with a chain latch.
A Better Way
A better way to close a gate with a chain latch is to take the chain around the fence post, then...
1) ...take the chain under the bar of the gate (yellow arrow),
2) ...finished by placing the chain into the notch (blue arrow).
When closed like this, stress on the gate will cause the chain to get pulled deeper into the notch, not bounce out.
Below: A more secure way of closing a gate with a chain latch.
About The Hole In The Gate
As you have probably noticed, the gate in the photos has a round hole by the notch the chain goes into. Using this hole provides at least a couple of other good ways to close the gate. One other way, for example, is to take the chain around the fence post, through the hole, then place the chain into the notch. There are at least a couple of variations on this, but they serve the same purpose: It's another way of keeping the chain from bouncing out of the notch when the gate is under stress.
So, why didn't we use the hole in our demonstration above? Because a lot of gates don't have a hole to use. Taking the chain under the bar before dropping it into the notch without using a built-in hole in the gate simply makes for a more universal demonstration.
You might also like...
- Attach A Leather Rope Strap
- Bridle A Horse
- Buy Cowboy Stuff On eBay
- Care For A Silk Wild Rag
- Care For Your Felt Cowboy Hat
- Care For Your Saddle Pad Or Blanket
- Close A Gate With A Chain Latch
- Estimate Cattle Age By Their Teeth
- Estimate A Horse's Weight
- Estimate Western Cinch Size
- Fishtail Braid Your Horse's Tail
- Flatten Cow Horn
- Make A Collapsible Wood Saddle Rack
- Make A Flag Boot Out Of A Horn
- Make Homemade Hoof Conditioner
- Make Homemade Horse Fly Spray
- Measure A Horse's Girth
- Measure A Horse's Height
- Measure A Western Saddle Seat
- Put A Horn Knot On Your Rope
- Put A Speed Burner On A Honda
- Recognize Common Horse Colors
- Recognize Common Horse Face Markings
- Saddle A Horse
- Stop A Saddle From Squeaking
- Take Horse Pictures
- Tie A Honda
- Tie A Horse
- Tie A Quick Release Knot
- Tie A Stopper Knot
Tie a stopper knot for the end of a rope,
or a metal, rawhide, or plastic honda
- Tie A Stopper Knot For A Honda
Tie a stopper knot for a tied honda
- Tie A Wild Rag Knot
- Trim A Bridle Path
- Turn Blevins Buckles Over
- Turn Western Stirrups
- Understand Leather / Hide Thickness
- Whiten Bone
- Wrap A Saddle Horn With Rubber
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?