How To Stop Saddle Squeak
Sometimes, your saddle squeaks. Most new saddles squeak, and it can take a lot of rides before the squeaking quiets down.
While some folks don't mind the squeak, and others even enjoy the sound (it can be sort of pleasant to hear the squeak of your new saddle on that first ride) at some point it usually becomes annoying.
If you are ready to get rid of the squeak in your saddle, the baby powder treatment described below should do the trick.
You Will Need...
You will need your saddle, a container of baby powder, a firm surface, and some sort of blanket or pad big enough for your saddle to fit on. In the photo below we put a blue tarp over a concrete slab with a thick saddle pad on top.
Pin it now!
Turn It Over
Turn your saddle upside down. Since most saddle squeaks come from the friction of leather rubbing on leather, you're going to pour baby powder into all the leather-on-leather areas underneath your saddle that you can find. This will reduce the friction and eliminate the squeaks.
Baby Powder It
Pour baby powder into every nook and crevice you can find (between the skirt and stirrup fender, between the stirrup fender and the seat jockey, etc.). If you can pry it open with your hand or fingers, pour baby powder into it. Be generous, and pour it from one end of the saddle to the other. Don't forget to do both sides.
Get The Baby Powder In Deep
You will want to make sure the baby powder settles as deeply into the saddle as you can get it. Probably the easiest way to do this is to pick the saddle up and thump it back down again, several times. You don't want to scratch or scuff your saddle, which is why you're doing this on a blanket or pad.
The saddle in the photo is a heavy ranch saddle so it is being lifted and thumped back down first by the front end, then by the back end. One treatment may do it, but if necessary you can repeat the steps (more baby powder, more thumping), then you're ready to ride your quiet saddle.
- Attach A Leather Rope Strap
- Bridle A Horse
- Buy Cowboy Stuff On eBay
- Care For A Silk Wild Rag
- Care For Your Felt Cowboy Hat
- Care For Your Saddle Pad Or Blanket
- Close A Gate With A Chain Latch
- Estimate Cattle Age By Their Teeth
- Estimate A Horse's Weight
- Estimate Western Cinch Size
- Fishtail Braid Your Horse's Tail
- Flatten Cow Horn
- Hydro Dip A Cow Skull
- Make A Collapsible Wood Saddle Rack
- Make A Flag Boot Out Of A Horn
- Make Homemade Hoof Conditioner
- Make Homemade Horse Fly Spray
- Measure A Horse's Girth
- Measure A Horse's Height
- Measure A Western Saddle Seat
- Put A Horn Knot On Your Rope
- Put A Speed Burner On A Honda
- Recognize Common Horse Colors
- Recognize Common Horse Face Markings
- Saddle A Horse
- Stop A Saddle From Squeaking
- Take Horse Pictures
- Tell A Boy Cow From A Girl Cow
- Tie A Honda
- Tie A Horse
- Tie A Quick Release Knot
- Tie A Stopper Knot
Tie a stopper knot for the end of a rope, or a metal, rawhide, or plastic honda
- Tie A Stopper Knot For A Honda
Tie a stopper knot for a tied honda
- Tie A Wild Rag Knot
- Trim A Bridle Path
- Turn Blevins Buckles Over
- Turn Western Stirrups
- Understand Leather / Hide Thickness
- Weigh A Horse and Optimize Rider Weight
- Whiten Bone
- Wrap A Saddle Horn With Rubber
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Ermine Spots?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Horse Whiskers?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are The Parts Of A Western Saddle?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Horse Fencing Basics?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Are The Rodeo Catch Pens?
- What Are The X's In A Cowboy Hat?
- What Are The Three Legal Head Catches?
- What Are Wolf Teeth?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is A Pony Express Mochila?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Flying Gallop?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
- Horse Tips
Short tips to help horse owners and anyone who lives or loves a Western lifestyle do something faster, easier, or better.
Link To This Page
If you found this page useful or interesting and would like to link to it from your own website or blog, you can use the small code snippet below to make a link. Thanks!
Use ctrl+C in Windows or command+C on a Mac to copy the link.