How To Put A Horn Knot On A Rope
A "horn knot" is a small piece of equipment used for attaching a rope to a saddle horn.
A horn knot is used when the roper wants to "tie hard" instead of dallying
In the text and photos below we'll show you how to put a horn knot on your rope.
Below: A metal horn knot.
Pin it now!
Put A Horn Knot On Your Rope
First, tie an overhand knot several inches from the end of the rope (opposite the honda), leaving a tail at the very end. The tail will be helpful when removing the rope and horn knot from the saddle horn after roping.
Next, bend the end of the rope back beside itself, forming a loop. Do this above the overhand knot you just tied.
Now take your horn knot......
......and slip it over the end of the loop.
Slide the horn knot down several inches, creating a loop big enough to fit over your saddle horn.
Slip the loop over your saddle horn, pull it tight, and you're done.
After roping, the horn knot can become very tight against the saddle horn and difficult to remove. That's where the tail of the rope comes in handy; you can pull the tail to the side to loosen the horn knot from the saddle horn.
You can also use the tail of the rope......
......to help keep the horn knot from slipping off of the rope when it's not on your saddle horn. Just take the tail of the rope through the loop.
Horn Knots From eBay
A Little Bit About Horn Knots
A horn knot can be made of a variety of different materials such as metal, braided nylon or rawhide, plastic, and others.
Below: A home made horn knot braided from nylon cord.
- Attach A Leather Rope Strap
- Bridle A Horse
- Buy Cowboy Stuff On eBay
- Care For A Silk Wild Rag
- Care For Your Felt Cowboy Hat
- Care For Your Saddle Pad Or Blanket
- Clean Silver Conchos
- Close A Gate With A Chain Latch
- Estimate Cattle Age By Their Teeth
- Estimate A Horse's Weight
- Estimate Western Cinch Size
- Fishtail Braid Your Horse's Tail
- Flatten Cow Horn
- How Smart Are Horses?
- Hydro Dip A Cow Skull
- Make A Bridle Rack Out Of Tin Cans
- Make A Collapsible Wood Saddle Rack
- Make A Flag Boot Out Of A Horn
- Make Homemade Hoof Conditioner
- Make Homemade Horse Fly Spray
- Measure A Horse's Girth
- Measure A Horse's Height
- Measure A Western Saddle Seat
- Put A Horn Knot On Your Rope
- Put A Speed Burner On A Honda
- Recognize Common Horse Colors
- Recognize Common Horse Face Markings
- Saddle A Horse
- Stop A Saddle From Squeaking
- Take Horse Pictures
- Tell A Boy Cow From A Girl Cow
- Tell A Horse Skull From A Cow Skull
- Tie A Honda
- Tie A Horse
- Tie A Quick Release Knot
- Tie A Stopper Knot
Tie a stopper knot for the end of a rope, or a metal, rawhide, or plastic honda
- Tie A Stopper Knot For A Honda
Tie a stopper knot for a tied honda
- Tie A Wild Rag Knot
- Trim A Bridle Path
- Turn Blevins Buckles Over
- Turn Western Stirrups
- Understand Leather / Hide Thickness
- Weigh A Horse and Optimize Rider Weight
- Whiten Bone
- Wrap A Saddle Horn With Rubber
You Might Also Like