Shoo Fly Tassels For Sale
Below you will find shoo flies for your horse for sale. There are a lot of shoo fly tassels, plus other items like "Shoofly Leggins."
Please scroll down for a description of what a shoo fly tassel is.
From eBay and Etsy
Shoo Fly Savvy
A shoo fly tassel (also sometimes spelled shoofly, shoo-fly, or shu fly) is a tassel that horsemen hang on their horse while riding to keep flies shooed away. Shoo flies are traditionally made of horsehair, but they can also be found made in other materials.
You commonly see shoo flies attached to brow bands and throatlatches of bridles, as well as the sides of a bridle, and sometimes the curb strap. You'll also see them underneath the horse on the front and/or back cinch and pretty much anywhere else the rider simply feels like putting one.
While a shoo fly has a practical purpose most horsemen love them as much for their looks as for the job they do. Shoo flies are traditionally made of horsehair in varying lengths and colors, and commonly have beautifully braided buttons as accents.
Below: A shoo fly made of horsehair.
Other Meanings For Shoo Fly
While most horse people recognize the term "shoo fly" to mean a horsehair tassel, there are other meanings for the term. For example:
- Sometimes, "shoo fly" is a name given to any item designed to keep flies or other insects off of horses, livestock, or pets. For example, sometimes fly masks are called shoo flies.
- A child's rocking chair with a seat that looks like an animal.
- A style of quilt block.
- A kind of pie. "Shoo Fly Pie" is a traditional recipe credited to the Pennsylvania Amish, Mennonites, and/or Dutch. The pie is most commonly made with a lot of sweet ingredients (like brown sugar and molasses) and it is said to have gotten its name because the cook had to constantly keep the flies shooed away from it.
- An old children's folksong ("Shoo fly, don't bother me...").
Save The Shoo Fly For Later
If you find a shoo fly for sale on Etsy that you like but you're not ready to purchase right away, you can always add it to your shopping cart so it will be easy to find later.
- In most cases, Etsy will keep track of items in your shopping cart for 30 days.
- In the meantime, if you want to check out with other items you can click on "Save for later" to move the items in the shopping cart to a separate, but still easy-to-find list right below it.
- If you put items into your Etsy shopping cart but don't check out after 30 days, Etsy will automatically move them to the "Save for later" area beneath your shopping cart. When you're ready to actually purchase any of these items, simply click "Move to cart" to put them back into your shopping cart and check out.
Important: Putting items in your Etsy shopping cart or "Save for later" list does NOT reserve them! It just makes them easier to find if they're still available when you come back.
Below: Screenshot image showing the "Save for later" and "Remove" links when an item is in the Etsy shopping cart.
You Might Also Like...
- Beaded Halters
- Beaded Headstalls
- Boots - Hoof
- Boots - Protective
- Breast Collars
- Bridle and Breast Collar Sets
- Bronc Halters
- Bucking Rolls
- Cowboy Night Latches
- Fly Masks
- Little S Hackamores
- Miniature Horse Harness
- Mohair Cinches
- Polo Wraps - Customized
- Romal Reins
- Rope Halters
- Roping Stirrups
- Saddle Bags
- Saddle Pads
- Shoo Flies
- SleekEZ Grooming Stick
- Slobber Straps
- Split Reins
- Western Breast Collars
- Western Cinches