Horse Bosals For Sale
Below are bosals and related items, like mecates and hangers, for sale. Please scroll down for our article "What Is A Horse Bosal?"
Below: A horse in a rawhide bosal.
From eBay and Amazon
What Is A Horse Bosal?
A bosal is a piece of equipment put on a horse's head for riding. A bosal, when used with a hanger and mecate, is called a hackamore. The three main parts of a hackamore are:
- The hanger (sometimes called a headstall, this is the part that goes over a horse's head, behind the ears).
- The mecate (reins, traditionally made from horse hair).
- The bosal. The bosal goes around the nose of the horse, and has a knot at the back.
Typically, a bosal is used for training. Although a horse trainer will always have his or her own way of doing things, it is common for an unbroke horse to be started in a snaffle bit, then graduated to a bosal. When the horse is advanced in the bosal, it will often then be ridden in both a bosal and a curb bit, then ultimately ridden in a curb bit alone. However, it is not written in stone that a horse's training progresses in this manner. For example, some people start a horse in a bosal (as opposed to a snaffle) and/or a horse doesn't necessarily have to "graduate out" of a bosal: Some riders use a bosal all throughout the horse's riding career.
Pictured below: A Bosal on a roan horse.
Bosals are commonly made from rawhide braided over a core also made of rawhide. You can sometimes find a bosal with a metal core, but most professionals despise these as being too rigid and wouldn't consider using this type.
Bosals also have a knot at the back, behind a horse's chin. The knot provides weight so that when a rider touches the reins the shift in weight is noticeable to the horse. Bosals come in a wide variety of diameters, with the largest diameters usually used on the greenest (most inexperienced) horses and the smaller diameters on more advanced horses.
Pictured below: The same bosal as shown above.
Save The Bosal For Later
If you find a bosal you like on Amazon but you're not ready to purchase it right away, you can always add it to your shopping cart so it will be easy to find later.
- In most cases, Amazon will keep track of your bosal, and anything else in your shopping cart, for 90 days.
- Later on, if you decide you don't want the bosal after all, it's easy to click "delete" and remove it from your cart.
- In the meantime, if you want to check out with other items, click "Save for later" to move the bosal to a separate, but still easy-to-find list beneath your shopping cart.
Important: Putting bosal in your Amazon shopping cart or "Save for later" list does NOT reserve it! It just makes it easier to find if it's still in stock when you come back.
Below: Screenshot image showing the "delete" and "Save for later" links when an item is in the Amazon shopping cart.
You Might Also Like...
- Beaded Halters
- Beaded Headstalls
- Boots - Hoof
- Boots - Protective
- Breast Collars
- Bridle and Breast Collar Sets
- Bronc Halters
- Bucking Rolls
- Cowboy Night Latches
- Fly Masks
- Little S Hackamores
- Miniature Horse Harness
- Mohair Cinches
- Polo Wraps - Customized
- Romal Reins
- Rope Halters
- Roping Stirrups
- Saddle Bags
- Saddle Pads
- Shoo Flies
- SleekEZ Grooming Stick
- Slobber Straps
- Split Reins
- Western Breast Collars
- Western Cinches